Around the world in 80 beers – Restaurant review: Bierkeller, Cardiff

Just over a month ago, Cardiff got its very own Bavarian bar in the form of Bierkeller, situated in Stadium Plaza, Cardiff city centre (next to the Millennium Stadium). The bar became instantly popular for its German beers served in Steins, carried to your table (or bench, rather) by waitresses wearing traditional Bavarian dress, with the added bonus of a live Oompah band at the weekends.

Besides the Bavarian bar, Bierkeller also features an Around the World Bar and the Shooters Bar and Grill; a stereotypical American sports bar complete with pool tables and gaming machines.

I popped along to Bierkeller last week with my house mate, James to try out their extensive food menu. Each of the three bars serves a different type of food, as follows:

1. The Shooters Bar and Grill (American sports bar): serves American classics like burgers, nachos and chicken wings.
  2. The Around the World Bar: offers exotic global dishes such as Springbok tagine, Louisiana Gumbo and Caribbean red snapper curry.
  3. The Bierkeller: serves traditional Bavarian dishes such as currywurst, German sausage and ‘U-boat’ baguettes.

However, for the purpose of our visit we were able to sit in any bar of our choice and order from any menu that we liked (the perks of being a food blogger!)

We sat in the Around the World bar, which has sofa-style seating both in booths and at tables, a patterned carpet and a warm, cosy atmosphere – a bit like a hotel lounge or cabaret club. The 80s music videos playing on wall-mounted TVs in the background helped to create a casual dining experience.

The Around the World bar stocks no less than 80 different beers from around the globe. Unfortunately I’m not a fan of beer, so I ordered a pint of Rekoerdelig strawberry and lime which was on tap; something I have never seen before, while James ordered a white Belgian beer, although we cannot for the life of us remember what it was called!

FullSizeRender (14)

Our drinks

Our food arrived within around ten minutes of us ordering it. To start, we shared the Shooters Platter for two (£10.95); a calorific combination of lightly spiced Buffalo chicken wings, nachos, crispy homemade onion rings, mozzarella cheese fingers in breadcrumbs, potato wedges and BBQ and sweet chilli dips.

We both enjoyed every food on the platter, but my favourites were the mozzarella fingers and the Buffalo chicken wings. I wasn’t very keen on the nachos; they tasted bland and there wasn’t much cheese on them – I would recommend serving them with a dollop of salsa, soured cream and guacamole, with a touch more cheese.

FullSizeRender (15)

For my main course, I ordered the chicken and chorizo pasta, served with garlic bread (£7.95). The menu didn’t include a description for this dish but for some reason I just assumed that it would be served in a creamy sauce, so I was quite surprised to discover that it was actually served with a tomato-based sauce flavoured with basil.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t very impressed by this dish and I wouldn’t order it again. The pasta was overcooked, there was too much of it and the sauce was boring and predictable; it tasted like something you could get out of a jar and it was quite rich, so it didn’t pair well with the salty chorizo. Despite the disappointment of the sauce and the pasta, however the chicken was chargrilled and had a delicious, smoky taste, while the garlic bread was soft, flavoursome and not too greasy.

FullSizeRender (17)

Chicken and chorizo pasta

As he is very fond of German cuisine, James opted for the Bavarian currywurst; an imported authentic German Bratwurst served sliced in a tomato-based, curry sauce, with crispy golden fries (£5.95). I tasted a mouthful and it was delicious; not too spicy or overly flavoured with tomato, and James said it tasted like the currywurst he has tasted before in Germany.

FullSizeRender (16)

Bavarian currywurst

We were offered dessert, but we were feeling really full after our main courses and so decided to give it a miss. The dessert menu is fairly minimal, consisting of raspberry and white chocolate cheesecake, sharp lemon tart, chocolate brownie and apple strudel (£2.95 each of which can be served with ice cream for £2 extra.

James and I enjoyed visiting Bierkeller and we were very pleased with our starter and James’ main course, even if I was let down by my pasta dish. I think this is a great venue to go to watch a sporting game like the Rugby World Cup 2015, perhaps with some bar-style food thrown into the mix; the prices are reasonable, the menu is varied, the atmosphere is great and there are three bars to choose from, which surely must reduce potential queuing time! However, if I was dining out in Cardiff and I wanted to enjoy some top quality food, Bierkeller just wouldn’t cut it for me.

The Bierkeller Entertainment Complex
Stadium Plaza
Wood Street
CF10 1LA
(0845) 333 000

I was invited to Bierkeller as a guest and our food and drinks were provided complimentary; however, I was not obliged to write a positive review.

1. September 21, 2015 / 10:07 am

I really like the sound of the Bierkeller. I love a great Bavarian bar. I’m a fan of a the beer too, the germans certainly do a great beer!

2. September 21, 2015 / 1:00 pm

Eighty different beers now that is an impressive feat! Sadly I cannot drink alcohol but that cheesecake sounded delicious. It sucks when you are too full to eat anything else because deserts are the best part of the meal!

3. September 21, 2015 / 1:03 pm

Oh my god that shooters platter looks amazing 😮 Can’t believe that’s a starter though – it does look very calorific indeed!!

Laura @ What’s Hot?

4. September 21, 2015 / 2:59 pm

This is my kind of restaurant! The currywurst looks delicious. I don’t think I would have been able to eat a dessert either!

5. September 21, 2015 / 5:50 pm

Looks like a bit of a mixed bag but overall decent experience?

• September 23, 2015 / 9:26 am

Yeah, overall we had a great time 🙂 And it would be the ideal venue for watching sporting games.

6. September 21, 2015 / 6:55 pm

OOh the Bavarian currywurst looks and sounds amazing x

7. September 21, 2015 / 7:41 pm

The food looks so delicious, you are making me hungry! Great review – I wish I lived near there!

8. Emma
    September 21, 2015 / 9:37 pm

That platter looks fantastic! I’ve said it before and I will say it again. You’re posts 1) make me STARVING hungry 2) want to visit cardiff 🙂

9. September 21, 2015 / 8:48 pm

These dishes look amazing and so much food! I do love it when you get lots and lots of great food. Sorry to hear that you main wasn’t great.

10. September 21, 2015 / 11:04 pm

What a fantastic sounding place to eat – I am loving the look of the Bavarian currywurst. x

11. September 21, 2015 / 11:30 pm

The Chicken and chorizo pasta looks divine. I am surprised at how cheap the meal was. It looks great value for money.

12. September 22, 2015 / 5:57 am

I’d have gone for the currywurst as well – I love German food, and it’s ages since I had currywurst, yum!!

13. September 22, 2015 / 10:46 am

Sounds like you had a lovely meal. The platter looks amazing as does your pasta. I love going out to eat but don’t get to that often anymore. This post is making me hungry now!xx

14. September 22, 2015 / 12:49 pm

What an in depth review! I loved this, as a vegetarian for the month (blogging challenge) these photos made my mouth water! Look forward to reading more x

• September 23, 2015 / 9:25 am

Ooh, good luck. I posted a recipe for spinach and ricotta filo pastry pie the other day – maybe it’ll be useful for your challenge 🙂

15. September 22, 2015 / 2:06 pm

Sounds like a great place. Around the world in 80 beers is much better than in 80 days. 🙂

16. September 22, 2015 / 2:54 pm

It’s a shame about your pasta not being to your liking, I’m glad you enjoyed the rest of your food though 🙂

17. September 22, 2015 / 5:18 pm

Yummy! The food looks fab! I wish we had great restaurants nearer me. This place looks fun for everyone!

18. September 22, 2015 / 8:17 pm

Sounds like you had quite a tasty meal (except for your pasta). Did the Bierkeller also have spätzle on the menu? This is a traditonal Bavarian food which is like pasta, only it is often served with currywurst. If they do, I’d recommend trying that.

• September 23, 2015 / 9:24 am

Hi Astrid! Thanks for your comment. No, I definitely didn’t see this on the menu. I think they should offer more Bavarian food and focus on this kind of cuisine, instead of trying to offer a bit of everything from different cuisines. Spatzle sounds delicious!

19. September 22, 2015 / 9:48 pm

I’m so sad you didn’t enjoy all of this! The pictures look amazing to be honest.

20. September 22, 2015 / 9:08 pm

Crikey those prices are cheap. And the size of that platter – that’s a lot of beige. I’m a big fan of mozzarella fingers too.

21. September 22, 2015 / 10:48 pm

Thanks so much for this post – my husband would love this place by the sounds of it!

22. September 23, 2015 / 6:51 am

Oooo I noticed this place was open the other week when i walked past! It looks good.

23. Catstello
    September 23, 2015 / 10:33 am

Awesome title! Great post, my boyfriend would be interested in these beers.

24. September 28, 2015 / 9:45 am

You passed up dessert?! Surely that’s the best bit of any meal! Now you’ll HAVE to go back so you can sample the strudel… 😉

• September 29, 2015 / 8:11 pm

I know! Not like me, haha. We were stuffed after those main courses!