Is the Welsh Government doing enough to market and promote Wales?

collage of Welsh imagery

Copyright: Assembly Wales

Do you think the Welsh Government does a good job of promoting Wales to the world? On October 16, the National Assembly for Wales Committee for the Scrutiny of the First Minister  will be meeting in Swansea to discuss ‘Wales in the Wider World’. Welsh businesses, organisations and individuals are being encouraged to submit questions to the First Minister, Carwyn Jones. The discussion will include questions such as:

• What is the Welsh Government’s overall strategy for marketing and promoting Wales to the world?
  • What is the Welsh brand? How well are Welsh attractions promoted to tourists?
  • What markets or products should be prioritised?

You can submit your question, observation or comment to the Committee on the topic of ‘Wales in the Wider World’ online:

On Twitter – Follow @AssemblyWales on Twitter and reply to any tweets about this topic or use the hashtag #AskFirstMin. Also, feel free to send a Direct Message  if you’d like to remain confidential.

On Facebook – Like the Assembly’s Facebook Page and leave a comment on a relevant status. If you can’t see a relevant status then leave a comment on the page, including the hashtag #AskFirstMin.

By e-mail Send your views to: FM.Scrutiny@Assembly.Wales

The meeting will take place on 16 October, 10.30 in Swansea at the National Waterfront Museum. You can watch in person, online on Senedd.TV or read the transcript. The Assembly will let you know if your question was answered. To find out more about the meeting and the topic please have a look at this blog post: https://nationalassemblyforwales.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/askfirstminoct15/

So, what questions do I have for the First Minister?

1) How are you currently performing against your aim of growing sales in the food and drink sector by 30% to £7 billion by the year 2020?

2) When do you intend to launch the Food and Drink Wales Industry Tourist Board, as promised by the Welsh Government’s Food and Drink Action Plan?

3) When can we expect to see a new approach to food industry awards in Wales, since the True Taste Awards were discontinued in 2013?

If my questions get answered, I’ll write about it on my blog!

Over to you; what questions would you ask the First Minister, Carwyn Jones? Write your answers in the comment box below.

42 Comments

1. September 30, 2015 / 11:07 am

Wales is an incredible place but it’s not really known of beyond it’s borders. It’s a shame because it’s beautiful.

• October 1, 2015 / 10:28 pm

I agree Tori, I wish the Welsh Government would do more to promote Wales.

2. September 30, 2015 / 11:36 am

I have to admit I adore Wales, I have so many fond memories of it and everyone is always so lovely. x

• October 1, 2015 / 10:28 pm

You’re right, people here are just so warm and friendly – the majority of us, anyway! There’s good and bad everywhere though 🙂

3. September 30, 2015 / 1:46 pm

Good luck with getting your voice heard! Wales is a beautiful country and I do feel we could promote it more.

4. September 30, 2015 / 3:00 pm

I’d like them to promote Wales more in the US. They always refer to people in the UK as English and barely have an idea where Wales is.
    The few that do presume we work down the mines!! Or mistake us for being scottish!

• October 1, 2015 / 10:26 pm

Haha I know what you mean Su! I went to Jamaica last year and most people didn’t know where Wales was and hadn’t even heard of it before.

5. September 30, 2015 / 3:45 pm

I have never been to Wales, but know I need to rectify that soon, whenever I see it advertised on the TV I always feel the need to go. Good luck with your campaign.

• October 1, 2015 / 10:31 pm

Thank you Michelle, it’s a shame Wales isn’t advertised on the telly more often 😉

6. September 30, 2015 / 4:57 pm

To be honest before I started blogging and reading other blogs I had no idea of what Wales had to offer, since I have I’ve been many times now and love the rolling country sides and stunning beaches! Im not really sure what else it has to offer to be honest apart from fresh air?

• October 1, 2015 / 10:25 pm

We have delicious food! Cardiff was recently named one of the UK’s top 5 food hot spots. Take a look at some of my restaurant reviews to see what I mean 🙂

The BBC has also announced plans to expand their base in Cardiff, while we also have lots of great attractions including several castles, the Millennium Stadium, the Dr Who Experience, White Water Rafting Centre, Boulders climbing centre, the Motorpoint Arena and Oakwood theme park, to name just a few.

7. September 30, 2015 / 6:21 pm

I would want to know if better transport could be laid on late at night – it can be a real nightmare going home if you out late. No trains and very expensive taxi’s.

• October 1, 2015 / 10:19 pm

I agree! The trains were cancelled yesterday from Cardiff Central due to equipment failure and the buses are now on strike for 48 hours as of today. Meanwhile, some taxi drivers have been overcharging fares and refusing short journeys. This should definitely be a key area of focus for the Welsh Government.

8. September 30, 2015 / 7:21 pm

Great post! Fantastic questions, I hope you get heard. I love Wales x

• October 1, 2015 / 10:32 pm

Thank you Claire! Fingers crossed my questions will be chosen to be answered.

9. September 30, 2015 / 7:46 pm

I really like Wales, especially the South. I hadn’t really thought of it not being promoted enough. Good luck with your campaign x

• October 1, 2015 / 10:16 pm

Thank you 🙂 I think the South gets a fair bit of promotion outside Wales – Cardiff, in particular – but more could be done, especially for the rest of Wales.

10. September 30, 2015 / 7:50 pm

I’ll never forget my holiday in Wales as a kid almost 30years, I remember how amazing it was and I can’t wait to take my kids.

• October 1, 2015 / 10:15 pm

Aww, that’s a lovely thought. What part of Wales would you like to visit?

11. Lorraine
    September 30, 2015 / 8:30 pm

Wales is such a mystery to me. I hardly every hear anything about it on the news or see it advertised on travel commercials. That would be a nice difference to occur.

• October 1, 2015 / 10:14 pm

Yeah, I think people who haven’t visited Wales before probably have a somewhat stereotypical view of what the country is like and this could be greatly improved by a bigger focus on marketing.

12. September 30, 2015 / 10:02 pm

I have say I really don’t hear much about wales at all in terms of attracting tourism. We went to Bluestone earlier in the year as complimentary guests and we were amazed at just how beautiful Tenby and the surrounding area was. Wales definitely has some the best beaches in Britain!

• October 1, 2015 / 10:10 pm

Yes, it’s a shame people don’t get to hear more about Wales. I have heard great things about Bluestone! I bet you had an amazing time. I love Tenby, been on a few family holidays there when I was younger.

13. Serena
    October 1, 2015 / 7:41 am

Wales needs more recognition, it’s a beautiful country. I’ve been there a few times.

14. October 1, 2015 / 9:17 am

Interesting post, I think my view is probably skewed because we live near the Welsh border and spend quite a lot of time in North Wales so I do hear a lot about it. I’ll be interested to see if/how your questions get answered

15. October 1, 2015 / 12:14 pm

Ive only ever been to Cardiff and Swansea and do want to discover more of Wales x

• October 1, 2015 / 10:31 pm

To be fair, I don’t get out of Cardiff much these days but I have been to several different parts of West Wales, North Wales and mid-Wales. North Wales is nice. It’s more traditional than the South, but I liked it.

16. October 1, 2015 / 1:59 pm

Good luck with your campaign. I really need to visit Wales as I have heard nothing but good thinks and it’s not too far from us.

• October 1, 2015 / 10:06 pm

Thank you Jenni! There’s definitely more that could be done.

17. October 1, 2015 / 6:40 pm

Living in West Wales, I am a huge advocate for promoting our beautiful country. I think people just don’t realise what we have to offer – it is a beautiful country, the local produce, culture etc. I am proud to live here. Kaz x

18. October 1, 2015 / 7:57 pm

I’ve never been to Wales but I have to visit it one day and drive around for a while

• October 1, 2015 / 10:03 pm

You should! There’s lots to see and do here 🙂 It’s not all hills and sheep, I promise 😉

19. October 2, 2015 / 12:11 pm

Good questions! I would like the Assembly to promote us to the wider world, especially the USA even if it’s just to stop the ‘Wales, that’s in England right?’ For such a little country we have so much to offer the world!

20. October 2, 2015 / 4:21 pm

Many years ago my in-laws sent some postcards home while on holiday in Europe. They beat the cards back by several weeks. When the cards eventually arrived they came via New South Wales, Australia with a redirect saying “to UK, the original Wales” I think Wales is better promoted these days, but I can imagine that this still happens.

• October 3, 2015 / 10:54 am

That’s a nice story, quite funny really 🙂

21. October 3, 2015 / 12:02 am

OH and I are actually making plans to visit Wales next Summer – I’ve had a few short visits but have always wanted to see more, as it seems to me to be HUGELY underrated and beautiful country. If we do, we’ll pop in for a cup of tea! 😉 x

• October 3, 2015 / 10:53 am

I hope you have a great time, let me know if you need any advice on where to go 🙂