How to have fun in Cabo San Lucas – without partying

Tacos, tequila and table-top dancing. Perched on the southern tip of Mexico’s Baja California Peninsula, Cabo San Lucas (a.k.a Cabo) in Los Cabos is known for its party lifestyle and if you read my post on Sunny Beach, Bulgaria a few months ago, you’ll know that’s not really my thing.

However, there’s much more to Cabo than its nightlife and this is why it appeals to me so much as a travel destination. It seems I’m not the only one who longs to visit, as Los Cabos vacations have been on the rise in recent years and at the end of 2015, Los Cabos Tourist Board reported a record 1,826,000 visitors – an overwhelming 11% increase year-on-year. If a glowing tan is what you’re after, you’ll be pleased to know Cabo enjoys year-round sunshine. However, if you want to avoid the winter crowds, the best time to go is between May and June.

Here’s how to have fun in Cabo San Lucas without stepping foot in a bar or club:

Hit the beach

Besides partying, lounging on the beach is one of the most popular things to do in Cabo. With so many beautiful beaches to choose from, it’s difficult to pick just one or two as the best ones.

Médano Beach is, by far, the busiest. Stretched over several kilometres along Cabo Bay, this beach is the perfect spot from which to admire the crystal-clear, turquoise waters of the Sea of Cortez. Arrive early to make sure you get a sun lounger and an umbrella, as they get snapped up pretty quickly and there is very little natural shade. This is Cabo’s safest beach for swimming, so water babies can jump (or wade) right in and swim to their heart’s content.

A short boat ride away from Médano Beach and the Marina, Lovers Beach at Land’s End isn’t as romantic and deserted as it may sound, but it does offer excellent views of Neptune’s Finger; a popular diving spot named after the rock formation jutting out of the sea. Ironically, nearby Divorce Beach is somewhat more secluded than Lovers Beach, although its strong currents make it a no-go for swimmers.

Indulge your inner child with watersports

Watersports are to Cabo San Lucas, what theme parks are to Florida. Cabo is a mecca for any watersports fan and whether you want to get soaking wet by snorkelling, diving, paddle-boarding (let’s face it, you’re going to fall in!) or even swimming with sea lions, or stay relatively dry while para-sailing, banana-boating or horse-back riding through the sea, there’ll be something to suit you.

So, get yourself down to Cabo’s no.1 spot for watersports, Médano Beach and have some wet n’ wild fun in the sun! If you’re a snorkelling enthusiast, allow time to hop on a panga (some are glass-bottomed) to explore the marine life near El Arco – a natural rock formation in the shape of an arch, located among the sea cliffs close to Lover’s Beach and Pelican’s Rock.

Arch of Cabo San Lucas. #archofcabo #cabo #mexico #vivamexico #beautiful #cabosanlucas #sanlucas #elarcodecabosanlucas

A post shared by Daniel Levine (@dlevine823714) on

Go marlin fishing

You can catch a variety of fish in Cabo San Lucas all year-round, as the converging currents of the Pacific Ocean and the Sea of Cortez produce nutrient-rich water, attracting bait fish which in turn attract bigger game fish.

However, there’s one fish in particular that draws fishing fanatics to Cabo San Lucas. The Striped Marlin population is extremely dense all year-round, while the bigger Black and Blue Marlin peak from October to December, earning Cabo the title of ‘Marlin Capital of the World’. During the autumn months, the town hosts some of the world’s highest paying fishing tournaments, including Bisbee’s Black and Blue.

If you catch a fish, you can either release it back into the sea or kill it, fillet it and take it to one of the restaurants in the marina, where they will prepare you a fine fish supper. I have also seen taxidermy mentioned, but let’s not even go there…

When booking your fishing trip, ask questions to confirm what is included. Will you have to pay an extra fee for a license? Is your fishing equipment included? What about lunch, water and snacks? Are tips covered?

Tuck in to the local cuisine

If you’re craving authentic Mexican cuisine, head to Mi Casa, situated just a few blocks down from the marina, away from the lively town plaza.  Based within former hacienda-style homes, the restaurant’s courtyard-style interior invokes an enchanting old-world charm that will fool you into thinking you’re dining in Old Mexico.

Tequila fan? Pancho’s is the place for you. Said to be home to the world’s biggest tequila collection, Pancho’s has gathered over 560 varieties of tequila from mainland Mexico over the past 25 years or so. Besides tequila, the restaurant serves Mexican, Italian, Mediterranean and seafood cuisine.

🌮

A post shared by Gabbie Fadel (@gabbiefadel) on

These are just a few ways to have fun in Cabo San Lucas, besides partying. To find out more things to do in Cabo San Lucas, visit the Los Cabos tourist board’s website.

Would you like to visit Cabo San Lucas? Do you think you’d enjoy the party lifestyle or would you be more likely to get involved with alternative activities, like me?

how to have fun in cabos san lucas without partying
This is a collaborative post.

32 Comments

1. September 22, 2017 / 5:12 pm

What some as awesome things to do in Cabos San Lucas, I could totally take to spending time on the beach and just relaxing a little.

• September 22, 2017 / 5:30 pm

Me too. I just love a day at the beach doing absolutely nothing!

2. September 22, 2017 / 6:34 pm

An interesting post for anyone heading to this destination x

3. September 23, 2017 / 3:42 pm

I’m not really a party person, but Cabo looks like a fantastic place to go. I *love* fresh fish, and I’m just always happiest when I’m by the sea

• September 25, 2017 / 4:35 pm

I love fresh fish too! It’s good that there is so much to do in Cabo besides partying 🙂

4. September 23, 2017 / 6:17 pm

Looks like such an amazing place. Like you we’ve never been one’s for the partying style on holiday so it’s great to see the place has other things for u to get up to.

• September 25, 2017 / 4:35 pm

Yeah, I went to Sunny Beach in Bulgaria earlier this year and it was too loud for me. 24/7 partying and clubs open all hours. I should’ve done more research before snapping up such a cheap deal!

5. September 24, 2017 / 3:48 am

Sounds like it would be so much fun! I’d still add in a little bit of partying but I love paddle boarding and eating so I’d definitely want to do those too!

• September 25, 2017 / 4:32 pm

I’ve never tried paddle boarding but I’d love to give it a go. I’m sure I’d do lots of eating, too 🙂

6. September 24, 2017 / 6:23 am

This place is paradise. No party needed. Just hit the beach and breathe. The beach is for me one of the best way to relax.

• September 25, 2017 / 4:32 pm

I know what you mean! I think I’d spend a lot of time on the beach, just doing nothing. And snorkelling!

7. September 24, 2017 / 12:56 pm

Luv you had me at year round sunshine as it’s somewhere I would definitely love to go especially with the kind of weather we having here

• September 25, 2017 / 4:30 pm

Me too! I’d love to live somewhere where it’s always sunny – I would call it ‘heaven’! Haha

8. September 24, 2017 / 7:35 pm

My days of partying are over so these are right up my street especially beach days 👌

• September 25, 2017 / 4:28 pm

I like to party from time to time, but I couldn’t stand a holiday of non-stop drinking.

9. September 24, 2017 / 8:25 pm

This is such a great post. I love trying out local cuisine I am a huge foodie person so it’s great to try new things in new places and see what they have to offer.

Plus a day at the beach sounds perfect to me too! x

• September 25, 2017 / 4:26 pm

Aww thanks, I’m glad you liked it. I’d probably spend the majority of my time eating in the restaurants, haha! I would love to go snorkelling and try out the other water sports too.

10. September 24, 2017 / 8:34 pm

My hubby would love Marlin Fishing dome great tips here thank you for sharing 😊

• September 25, 2017 / 4:25 pm

I know a few guys who would enjoy it too!

11. Joanna
    September 24, 2017 / 9:52 pm

Those beaches are simply amazing, I love the rocky edges! I am actually going to Mexico at the end of this year so I’ll make sure to put Cabo San Lucas on my itinerary.

• September 25, 2017 / 4:24 pm

I bet you will have an awesome time in Mexico. Let me know how you get on!

12. September 24, 2017 / 10:10 pm

I haven’t heard of Cabo before. It looks amazing, I’m not too big on partying so it’s great to know there is so many other things to do. Medano Beach looks stunning, I could quite happily lay and relax there!

• September 25, 2017 / 4:23 pm

Yes, I think I’d like it here too for those reasons 🙂

13. September 25, 2017 / 11:40 am

Oh wow what a beautiful place to visit! My party days are over (five children!) so I think it’s always nice to read about the quieter side of holidays!

• September 25, 2017 / 4:22 pm

Hehe, I don’t have kids but it seems the older I get, the earlier I begin to get tired on nights out.

14. September 25, 2017 / 12:32 pm

My folks would actually like to visit Cabo for its infamous nightlife! However its great that you’ve scoped out some beautiful places to visit while there too! We’d like to go fishing or relax on a beach x

• September 25, 2017 / 4:21 pm

That is the main reason people go, and I am sure the nightlife is amazing – I just wanted to showcase some of Cabo’s other highlights. I would definitely find time for both partying and relaxing if I went there 🙂

15. cheskaaanels
    September 25, 2017 / 2:22 pm

I could absolutely spend time here just relaxing in the beach!! Wow what a destination and it’s so beautiful!!! All the photos are so dreamy!

• September 25, 2017 / 4:20 pm

Me too. You wouldn’t need to party to have a good time here.

16. September 28, 2017 / 7:13 am

I’ve never been to Cabo before but it looks gorgeous! When it comes to vacations I prefer focusing on the historical and culture side of things so I’m glad that can be done there^^ Ahh another thing to add to my bucket list

• September 30, 2017 / 5:41 pm

I agree, it is a stunning town. There is so much to see and do besides partying, but I don’t think people realise that.