This is your holy grail for spending 3 days in Mumbai

Me at Amber Fort, Jaipur on my visit to India last year

Me at Amber Fort, Jaipur on my visit to India last year

Mumbai, or the City of Dreams, is one of the most populated and most visited places in India. The city is known for its fast pace, wonderful sights, street food, and its rich culture and history. Although I didn’t manage to get to Mumbai during my two weeks in India last year, I’m hoping to return to the country at some point to spend time experiencing the many different things to do in Mumbai, as well as exploring Goa and Kerala.

Getting to Mumbai is relatively easy, as it’s well connected by air, rail and road. If you have time on your hands, the well-maintained roads and picturesque routes make it an ideal destination for a road trip, but if you want to make the most of the time you have, flights are the quickest option. You can choose from several different operators who fly to Mumbai, from all major cities in India. If you’re flying from Delhi, you can take advantage of cheap flights from Delhi to Mumbai.

This three-day itinerary will guide you through some of the best things to do in Mumbai. Don’t be afraid to make a few unplanned stops, though; surprising local novelties can really add colour to your trip.

Day 1- History and culture

The first day of your trip is all about the history, heritage and culture of Mumbai. Start at the southern tip of the city, in the affluent district of Colaba. This neighbourhood is home to some of the best buildings in the city, constructed in the Victorian style and showcasing the grandeur of the era. The area also has great cafes and malls, which house boutique brands and designer products.

After exploring Colaba, move onto Colaba Causeway, a street famous as a shopping destination, with countless stalls selling electrical appliances and curios at knockdown prices. It pays to haggle to get the best price for whatever it is you’ve got your heart set on. The fruit stalls are also worth a visit, and don’t miss the opportunity to go to Gandhi House, which was the residence of the Mahatma when he visited Bombay in the pre-Independence days.

Marine Drive - one of the best things to do in Mumbai

Marine Drive, Mumbai

Round up your day of exploration by visiting the famed ‘Queen’s Necklace’, otherwise known as Marine Drive. At night, this shimmering row of lights is said to be one of the best sights not just in Mumbai, but in the whole of India. The street food available on Marine Drive is also well worth a try.

Day 2- Shopping

Your second day in Mumbai sees you shop ’til you drop and eat to your heart’s content! Mumbai boasts some of the best flea markets in the world, where you can find almost everything you have ever thought of, at dirt cheap prices. One of the most popular things to do in Mumbai, Chor Bazaar in Mutton Street is the place to start. The street has hundreds of stalls and shops, which sell antiques and curios ranging from old gramophones to figurines at low prices. Next, move on to the famous Fashion Street on MG Road, for some retail therapy. The street has around 250 stalls selling knock-off designer clothing and accessories. It is a favourite among both tourists and locals. Finish the day by watching the sunset at Chowpatty Beach, a gastronomer’s heaven with street food stalls selling sinful delicacies. Make sure you grab a dosa at the legendary Swati Snacks!

Day 3- Exploration

Elephanta Caves, one of the best things to do in Mumbai

Elephanta Caves, Mumbai

On day three, be sure to see the famed sculptures of Elephanta Caves, dedicated to Hindu god, Shiva. Hop on a ferry to Elephanta Island, admiring the awesome views of Mumbai as you sail along. Have fun exploring the subterranean caverns and temple sculptures of the Caves, which are also a UNESCO World Heritage Site. After a tiring day of exploration, tuck into some tasty food at a gourmet restaurant, or quench your thirst at one of Mumbai’s many pubs and bars.

Have you ever been to India? What appeals to you the most out of all the different things to do in Mumbai?

Mumbai: a 3-day Itinerary
This is a collaborative post.

1. louiseriis
    November 29, 2017 / 4:14 pm

I have never been to India! Often thought about it, but after watching “Slumdog Millionaire” I became a bit sceptical 😉 I can imagine it being very beautiful, but probably also very busy! If I go, I should probably wait til I am not pregnant anymore, so I will have more energy for exploring 😀

X Louise

• November 29, 2017 / 4:27 pm

It is a vibrant country, to say the least. I had some very good, and also some very bad, experiences during my stay, but on the whole, it really did open my eyes to a different culture and I felt more confident as a person for going there alone. I can’t imagine going there pregnant, though! It’s so busy and it can be hot depending when you go.

2. November 29, 2017 / 6:34 pm

I love the sounds of the Colaba district. Architecture really interests me and of course shopping does too! What are the prices like?

• November 30, 2017 / 3:31 pm

I imagine it would be fairly reasonable if its in India, but I haven’t been there for myself – I’m just writing about it because I’m hoping to go there someday! I love being able to haggle, you always get a good deal for your money then.

3. EG III
    November 30, 2017 / 4:29 am

I’ve heard nothing but good things about Mumbai. I’d definitely be down to explore the city during my next trip to India.

• November 30, 2017 / 3:30 pm

I’ve heard the food is one of the best things about it – which is why I want to go so badly 😀

4. Hannah
    November 30, 2017 / 8:12 am

Looks like there is plenty to do. I’ve never been to India

• November 30, 2017 / 3:29 pm

I went last year, and I had a good time. I went to a wedding while I was there, which was a really memorable experience for me.

5. November 30, 2017 / 10:28 am

I’ve never been to India, however, it’s definitely on my travel list. I imagine it to be super busy but extremely breathtaking and beautiful.
    Chloe x

• November 30, 2017 / 3:28 pm

It was overwhelming for me, but I did go on my own. I’d definitely go again though!

6. November 30, 2017 / 1:43 pm

Oh, would love to visit that Chor Bazaar. Don’t you just love local markets! It’s probably the best place to learn a bit more about local life. And I can only imagine what it’s like to be at the Chor Bazaar in Mumbai with all the bustle! Totally different, mesmerizing world! 🙂

• November 30, 2017 / 3:28 pm

I bet you can smell the aromas of all that delicious street food wafting around in the air!

• December 1, 2017 / 1:42 pm

I am hoping to go back, maybe in 2019. I want to explore Mumbai and the South of India

7. December 1, 2017 / 6:34 am

Mumbai is my city and I hope you enjoyed being here. There are so many diverse things to do in a mumbai. 3 days might sound less but you covered really good places and must visits. Hope you get to Mumbai again and explore more places.

• December 1, 2017 / 12:56 pm

I actually haven’t been yet, I just based my post on the things I’d love to see and do when I do get to visit. I would probably try and allow a week, ideally.

8. December 3, 2017 / 12:14 pm

I really want to go to India, particularly in Mumbai! I love the look of the ‘Queen’s Necklace’. I’d love to see Colaba, just because I’ve not quite seen anything of that description in all the blogposts on India I’ve read! Sounds fab!

• December 4, 2017 / 4:49 pm

Mumbai seems like a great travel destination, doesn’t it? 🙂