I love eating avocado for breakfast or brunch. From simple mashed avocado on toast to vegetable, avocado and chilli omelette, this creamy, mild green fruit is just the thing to get me out of bed in the morning, or see me through until dinner on a lazy afternoon. Packed full of flavour and highly nutritious, avocado is rich in vitamin E, iron, potassium and niacin – food to feel good about!
Recently, I came across an avocado recipe like no other. I couldn’t stop thinking about it and I knew I had to give it a go.
You can watch the step-by-step video of the recipe that originally caught my eye in the below video from food producer, Food Steez. Looks pretty irresistible, right?
I couldn’t believe how quick, easy and cheap this was to make. It tasted even better than it looks – the crispy bacon was a great match for the creamy avocado and the egg was the perfect finishing touch. Will I be making this again? You bet.
How to make a bacon-wrapped, egg-stuffed avocado:
To serve one person, you will need:
1 large avocado
Tomatoes (Estrella use Heirloom tomatoes, but I couldn’t get hold of any)
6 unsmoked streaky bacon rashers
Mozzarella cheese (you could use another cheese of your choice, but this worked well)
1. Poach an egg for 4-5 minutes. To poach an egg, bring some water and a dash of vinegar to the boil in a medium-sized pan, break an egg into a cup and then slide it smoothly into the water in one go. Failing that, invest in some handy egg poaching bags like I’ve got; you just place the bag into the cup, break the egg into the bag and then lift it straight into the boiling water, causing the bag to self-seal.
2. While the egg is cooking, carefully slice the avocado into two halves using a sharp knife, then gently scoop out the stone and peel off the skin.
3. The egg should be cooked now, so remove it from the pan and place it inside one of the avocado halves.
4. Put the avocado halves back together and then wrap the bacon rashers tightly around the avocado, holding the two halves together. This sounds easier than it actually is, as the avocado can be quite slippery. I found the best way to do it was to lay the bacon rashers out in strips and then roll them around the avocado, holding the two halves together at the same time.
5. Fry the bacon-wrapped avocado in some olive oil over a medium heat for approximately ten minutes, turning every now and then until the bacon is crispy all over. Then, place it on a sheet of paper towel to drain off the excess grease before serving.
Slice the mozzarella (or whatever cheese you’re using) and tomatoes if necessary (I used baby plum tomatoes), and serve alongside the avocado.
6. Tuck in! Carefully slice the avocado in half to reveal the runny yolk, dig in and enjoy!
Would you like to try a bacon-wrapped, egg-stuffed avocado? Let me know your thoughts in the comment box below 🙂